Rolls-Royce – Asia Marine Equipment Manufacturing.
Rolls-Royce has a growing presence in Asia delivering services and manufactured marine equipment across 10 regional countries. Developing local expertise is vital for future business sustainability.
The Business Challenge
Continuous improvement had not yet been introduced and site performance was not reaching expected levels. The challenge was to establish an improvement capability at each of the three marine manufacturing sites across Asia and begin to generate bottom line benefits.
Engaging the regional senior leadership and shop floor employees was critical in embedding a sustainable structure and culture of improvement, creating a shared learning approach.
How We Helped
– Trained management in leading improvement and trained-the-trainers in the methods
– Established framework to support fast escalation, project reviews and coaching clinics
– 1-1 coaching with green belts and sponsors to deliver benefits plan and skills transfer
– Embedded problem solving and influencing skills as capability matured
– 190 people active in generating lean six-sigma improvement projects
– Initial green belt project benefits totalled £459k
– Site improved 60% against the corporate continuous Improvement rating score
– Single piece flow was achieved in one plant improving cycle time from 34 to 11 days
– Local management took ownership of continuous improvement programme
The Customer’s View
“The insightful coaching developed knowledge in the senior leadership team creating a supportive environment for the project leaders. The focus on governance and behaviours provided a strong foundation that was sustainable after he left”.
S Chu – Quality Manager, China Facility